15 Career Girl Wardrobe Essentials
I love perusing fashion magazines and style blogs for outfit inspiration, and through my “research” I’ve learned that the key to building a great wardrobe is to have essential go-to-pieces. Although you may not be able to build your dream wardrobe overnight, you can build a great wardrobe over time. I’ve curated the 15 Wardrobe essentials every Career Girl should have to build that perfect wardrobe. This is meant to be a guide, so use it to create your own distinct style by varying colors, tailoring silhouettes to your body, and adjusting styles to fit your work environment.
- Classic bag — Big enough to carry work documents, but not too big that it looks like luggage.
- Pencil Skirt — The perfect fit is essential, make sure it’s not too tight or too loose, have it tailored If necessary.
- White Button up –– Depending on your work environment, you can jazz it up with collar detailing like the one. seen here
- Heels –– Try embellishments or playing with textures & styles like leather, suede, and snake print.
- Trench — Can make almost any outfit chic.
- Dress Pants –– Great with a blouse and a statement necklace.
- Cardigan — Throw over dresses and sleeveless tops to add variety to outfits.
- Dark Jeans –– Every Career Girl should have a good pair of jeans that you can through together when you are not sure what to wear.
- Skinny belt — Adds an instant update to dresses and sweaters, just don’t cinch it too tight, great in bold colors and prints.
- Statement Necklace — Adds instant flair to an otherwise “simple” outfit, let the necklace shine and avoid big earrings.
- Flats — Comfortable and can be worn every day, with almost any outfit.
- Sheath Dress –– Great transitional piece than can be dressed up or down, and worn during the day and the night.
- Blouse — Very versatile, can be worn with jeans, pants and skirts, don’t be afraid to play with prints.
- Blazer — The right blazer can pull any outfit together, make sure the fit & fabric are great.
- Watch — Whether worn for functionality or style, it can be the perfect accent for any outfit.
Looking for more wardrobe inspiration, check out Elle.com’s “50 Musts: Fall Essentials” here.
Zipper dress, $155 / Rebecca Taylor woven top / Madewell long cardigan / Old Navy fitted shirt / Belted trench coat / AllSaints tuxedo jacket / Levi’s Made & Crafted faded jeans / H&M wide leg pants, $40 / French Connection slit skirt / Madewell ballet flat shoes / McQ by Alexander McQueen pointed toe pumps / Coach leather tote handbag / MICHAEL Michael Kors bracelet watch / BCBG Max Azria stone jewelry / Warehouse leopard belt