5 Tips for Creating the Perfect Wardrobe
Every Career Girl’s fashion wish is to have the perfect wardrobe. You would always have something to wear and your budget would never be an issue. Well, I believe that with a little planning and thought, you can build the perfect wardrobe for you.
Now you may not be able to buy whatever you want, but you should be able to get what you need!
Follow these 5 tips:
- Build your wardrobe around your lifestyle. There was a period in my life where I only bought clothes for going out and hanging with my friends. When it came to getting dressed in the morning, I felt I never had anything to wear to work. The truth was, I didn’t have anything to wear to work because my wardrobe was full of going out looks. I quickly checked myself, and bought quality work basics that can be easily mixed with other items in my wardrobe. If you work in a corporate environment but love to show your style buy chic basics like sheath dresses that can be worn with a blazer and pumps at work and with high heels and a leather jacket on the weekend. Think of how many times you do an activity during the week and build your wardrobe around that. If you are at the gym everyday, you should have a decent amount of active wear.
- Define your personal style. I personally don’t think that one person’s style can be categorized into only one label like bohemian, trendy, or classic. You can have more of one and a little of another, or all of them depending on what you want to wear on a given day. However, I do feel that every Career Girl should have a signature look in her arsenal. A signature look should encompass pieces that you love to wear and make you feel good. This includes colors, silhouettes, fabrics and fabulous pieces that work for your lifestyle. Creating signature looks, will help you create a functional wardrobe that you will actually wear. When you’re at a loss for what to wear in the morning, you can grab your signature look and go. A signature look doesn’t have to be the same outfit over and over again, and it doesn’t need to be a bold “fashion” statement. For a quick tip in building your signature look, try incorporating more of the colors you love to wear in your everyday looks. I have a friend that never wears black…ever. She has built her signature look around a great color palette that works for her.
- Clean your closet. When’s the last time you went through every item in your wardrobe? Never…me neither, until I recently moved. It was like the clouds parted and the sun came out, and I was finally able to see every item in my wardrobe. I ended up donating, tossing and selling 60% of my wardrobe. It took several days, but I felt so rejuvenated after I was finished. I’ve been able to add items to fill gaps in my wardrobe, and find different ways to wear the items I already owned. I realized nobody needs that many black blazers, especially black blazers that don’t fit. It was a grueling process trying on everything and parting with items I just didn’t want to give up, but in the end it was so worth it.
- Build the basics. If you go to work 5 times a week, you should have 5 different top options and 5 different bottom options to wear for work, and that’s just if you rotate every item every week not including the weekends. Now several items can be worn again, and mix matched but if you don’t have a couple of basic shirts it’s going to be hard to find different outfits to create. Basic doesn’t have to be boring. Try different colors and fabrics that fits your aesthetic. I honestly own only one button-up shirt, but I have several basic blouses in solid colors that I can rotate with almost any pencil skirt in my wardrobe. You can do wonders for your wardrobe with basic items like a pair of black or brown shoes, and great fitting jeans. Invest in your basics. Odds are you will have these for a while and they will get heavy rotation. You don’t want to buy a cheap blouse that ends up ripped after washing only to buy a similar blouse a couple of weeks later.
- Planning is key. With your busy life as a Career Girl, you don’t want another thing that you have to plan, but planning is key to a perfect wardrobe (I’m an obsessive planner). I’m not saying plan your outfit everyday, although I think this is a good idea if you have the time. I believe in planning for events and shopping. If you know you have a meeting with the execs in your office, please plan your outfit, and wear something that looks chic and professional. If you know you are meeting the girls for happy hour, plan to bring a chic pair of heels or flats to work that shows your “after work” style. Create a shopping list and stick to it. It can be fun to go shopping and pick up everything you want, only to get home and realize you bought nothing you need. Before you go shopping, do a quick wardrobe check and write down items you need, and leave a little room for items that catch your eye, but make sure you hit your list first. This is the key to a perfectly edited wardrobe.
These are just a few tips that will help you create the perfect wardrobe.
What questions do you have about creating your perfect wardrobe? I’d love to know!