9 Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Next Conference
Millions of attendees participate in conventions, conferences, congresses, trade shows and exhibitions each year. Are you one of the millions?
I recently attended the World Tea Expo in Long Beach, California. I had been looking forward to attending this conference for months! As someone who is passionate about tea, it was an opportunity to connect with people in the industry and increase my knowledge about my favorite beverage!
Here are my favorite tips to get the most out of your next conference!
- Before you attend, make a list of what you want to achieve by attending the conference. This will help you select relevant conference sessions and to connect with people who can help you move forward.
- Evaluate your choice of conference sessions after the first or second day. Your direction and intentions for attending the conference may change once you attend a few sessions and begin networking.
- If you meet someone who has succeeded in what you want to accomplish, ask questions about what they have learned throughout the experience.
- Conference speakers are often top notch in the industry. This is your chance to learn from the best and ask questions. No question is too small. More than likely, other people in the audience will be wondering the same thing!
- Bring a sweater. Conference rooms are often cold, which can become a major distraction if you’re trying to focus, but shivering!
- Leave room in your suitcase for handouts, brochures, binders, and vendor giveaways.
- It’s likely that many attendees will stay at the same hotel that you book. Beware of your conversations outside the conference and avoid gossip.
- Follow-up with the people that you meet after the conference through email and/or social media.
- And, don’t forget your business cards:)