The “Art” of Self-Promotion
Sorry, but no.
In today’s competitive workplace, you need to take charge of your career and get comfortable with self-promotion. No one is going to take up the cause of your career. You need to inventory your accomplishments, be clear on how they contribute your company’s success, and share them with people who can help advance your career.
So how do you get started?
Let’s look at these tips for approaching self-promotion in a way that is natural, conversational, and authentic for you:
- Inventory your accomplishments: we are all busy but make take time to note and record successes – big and small. You may already be doing this for your performance planning process but take a more thoughtful, intentional approach to keeping track of your achievements
- Share your successes: ask your supervisor for opportunities to share your successes with others in the company – both inside and outside of your immediate group. This is not self-serving bragging; it is a way to share ideas and outcomes that could be helpful and of interest to others in the company
- Use those “corridor conversations”: be aware when you have casual conversations with colleagues, contacts in networking settings, friends you may meet socially…when they ask what you do or “what’s new?”, be prepared with a short statement about a project you just completed or some positive outcome you had in your work
- Look for cross-company projects: ask to participate in cross-departments projects or committees, where you can share what you are working on and your accomplishments with people whom you might not normally come in contact with
- Use the power of social media: use the “status” area of your LinkedIn profile to post updates on what your are doing, reading, learning…as well as other on-line forums, professional associations, LinkedIn groups or blogs related to your areas of expertise
The more often you do this the easier it will become for you. It will seem like a natural extension of your conversation and interaction with others. Try it and let me know the results!