Posted September 17, 2014 by Denise DeGennaro in Building Your Brand
Here in Boston, it seems that the seasons changed as quickly as I flipped my calendar to September. My feelings toward fall are a mix of love and complete suspicion. The love part may be easy to understand. We bid adieu to the oppressive humidity, don scarves and boots, enjoy the changing foliage (if you live in a place where there are seaons…), and inhale every pumpkin spice-flavored thing that’s available for this limited time only. My suspicion is deep-rooted in a lifetime of winters in the northeast, both New York and Boston, where with fall is all fine and dandy until it decides to dump snow all over us! Basically, fall is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Okay, I’m probably being a tad dramatic. On my way to work this morning it was seriously chilly (below 50!!), so I am beginning the process of winterizing myself. Here are my beauty and wardrobe essentials for easing into the chillier months! Please note I am not, in any sense, a sponsor for any of these products. These are just my tried and true faves!
- Hand Food Hydrating Hand Cream by Soap & Glory: The second the temps drop I felt the moisture zapped out of my hands. This little gem fits right in my bag, smells awesome, and restores the life to dry hands!
- Davines OI/Oil Absolute Beautifying Potion: I received a sample of Davines’ shampoo, conditioner, and this amazing potion in my September Birchbox. My hair, which is thick, wavy, and frizzy, dried completely straight with no help from my flat iron after using this stuff!! It’s $41.00 which is pretty hefty for a hair product, but I think this might be worth it because a little goes a long way. Birchbox also sells some kits for ~$24.00 that come with shampoo, conditioner, and the oil. Don’t be scared off by the concept of putting oil in your hair – it just makes it so smooth and soft and does not look greasy! If you have thinner hair, avoid your root area to avoid the greasy look. (Side note: I think Birchbox is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously, it’s everything – $10/month completely well spent! Click here for my referral link if you’re interested in signing up!)
- Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Waterproof Mascara: My eyes ALWAYS tear when it’s cold out. Since I wear contact and makeup, that is no bueno! This waterproof mascara does the trick for me – doesn’t flake, stays put all day, makes my lashses look luscious! All for just about $6-7 bucks a pop. Happiness!
- Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser Starter Kit: Aha, another thing I never new I needed until Birchbox sent me a sample (their business model works a little too well on me…) this stuff is insanely amazing, though. Why? It removes makeup, even waterproof stuff (like the mascara above)!!! Take a dollop of the extremely creamy and moisturizing cleanser and smooth it over face, eyes, etc. Wet the muslin cloth in warm water, and watch all the gunk disappear from your face! I love this because it smells good and feels moisturizing, perfect for the colder months.
- Rusk Speed Freak 2000 Watt and Tourmaline Dryer: Full disclosure, I don’t know what tourmaline is, but whatever it is, it dries my hair FAST! Who wants a wet head in the winter? That’s a recipe for getting sick, and I’m not about that life. This baby sucks the moisture out of hair super fast, hence the name. I got it at Marshall’s for $60.00 – so you may be able to find it cheaper than the link I sent. I will be forever grateful to a former coworker who recommended it to me, she has given me the gift of TIME. This thing saves so much time I can’t even tell you and dries my hair perfectly. (Doesn’t come with a diffuser, but I bought one that fits well by Miss Jessie’s from…guess where…Birchbox)
- Express Tights: When it comes to tights, the brand is less important, but I happen to love Express brand for them. Tights are an absolute fall/winter staple for me and extend the life of my dresses! A sleeveless summer dress can be re-purposed with tights, boots, a cardigan or blazer, and scarf, good for your closet and wallet!
- Pashmina Scarves: These fine wool scarves were first woven in India, but are seen everywhere these days. I always bought mine from street vendors in NYC for $20 for 5…no better deal! If you are not in NYC, they sell these at plenty of stores. Benefit is that they can be tied oh, about a hundred ways, or used as a shawl/blanket for those days the cold creeps into the office. Since snuggies are not acceptable in the workplace (at least not my office), a pashmina does the trick and looks stylish!
- Ugg Sheepskin Insoles: I stumbled across these at a shoe store once. They are super fuzzy, and if you don’t feel like buying Ugg boots, these are a much cheaper alternative ($15.00/pair)! They can restore the fuzz to worn-down Uggs, or add some warmth to other boots. Just make sure they fit in your shoe first!
What are some of your fall essentials? Leave them in the comments! Stay warm 🙂