Fall in Love this month — with your Job
February – it’s the month filled with love. Hearts, chocolates, flowers, and pink; you get my drift. It’s the month you either look forward to each year or the time of year you dread to see roll around.
Yes, you all know I’m talking about the day of love – Valentine’s Day. But what if this year you take a different approach? What if you take a different angle on the word love, a more professional approach? As I head into the first few days of February, I decided to take the time to re-evaluate the things I love in my life – one being my career.
Do you love your job? If the answer is no, take the month of February to re-evaluate your current situation because loving your job is the key to success in the workplace.
Of course, loving your job may be easier said than done for some, if you’re a recent grad, you probably aren’t even close to your “dream” job. Find the things you enjoy about your current job and learn to love the things you don’t enjoy as much – it’s all about the experience.
Fall in love with your job, whether it’s the first time or the second time around, this month is the perfect opportunity to do so.
CBS Money Watch offers tips on How to Fall in Love with your Job Again:
- Re-think your tools - Look for more effective ways to do what you do – whether you re-evaluate the types of technology you are using or the way you use your time, just do it.
- Say “yes” more – Say yes to new projects and new opportunities. Volunteer yourself to work on a big project at work. The best part is that you will gain new skills and enjoy a change in your daily routine – mixing it up can be good!
- Brush up on your people skills – February is a time to re-evaluate the way you are communicating with people or clients. For example, many times, I feel that I try to negotiate partnerships over the phone. The fact is, face-to-face communication is more satisfying and I feel like I develop a better relationship with partners I meet with in person. Mix up the way you communicate. It’s also more exciting to visit different locations and it gets you out of the office for a few hours!
- Write a “did” list – Make a list of the things you accomplished for the day – it is satisfying to leave work on a positive note, especially when you are heading into the weekend!
- Look at the big picture – The truth of it is, sometimes we just get stuck in the same old routine at work. We forget to look at the bigger whole of what we do each and every day. For example, I recently just created a partnership with a Children’s Hospital. Yes, it might just seem like a normal routine thing to do but the bigger picture is what matters – the kids that will be positively impacted from this opportunity. Thinking about the bigger picture will help to create a sense of pride in satisfaction in what you do.
Love it or lose it – take the time to re-evaluate your career this month. If you can’t quite seem to re-live the honeymoon stages of your current job, you may need to make a decision that will positively impact your career in the future. Whether you decide to end your current job with heartbreak or find a renewed job satisfaction – find a way to fall in love with your career this month.