As a successful career girl, public speaking will definitely be part of the job. Whether you a presenting to the CEO, on a panel with your peers, or pitching to a client, this may cause anxiety for some. If you were not born with the gift of gab like myself, here are some tried and tested ways to overcome public speaking jitters:
1) KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE — this is the most important element. Who you are speaking to dictates your appearance and the formality for which you will need to deliver your message.
2) TELL A STORY — a heartfelt tale or a cause that you believe in is easier to speak eloquently about. Adding humor and your personal interests to your speech will keep your audience interested.
3) KNOW YOUR ROOM — Arrive early to greet some people as a warm up and practice using the microphone and any visual aids. This will ensure that you have a smooth transition.
4) RELAX — people are here to listen to what you have to say because you are an expert in your field. Speak with conviction and confidence.
5) PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT — practice with a friend or in front of a mirror. If you fail, use it as a learning experience. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Another helpful technique is to video tape yourself and watch it back.