8 Ways to Spice Up Your Work Week
When the workplace gets slow and complacent, it can seem boring even if you are in a job you love. With a few small changes though, you can turn your boring work week into an exciting one.
Here are 8 ways to spice up your work week:
- Changes the background and screen saver to reflect you: No, I am not suggesting posting a “selfie” on your work computer. Choose something that always brings a smile to your face even if you look at it a million times—a favorite vacation spot, a family photo, etc.
- Re-decorate your desk: I recently replaced the black photo frames in my office with ones I bought from IKEA—in white. It made all the difference. I also added some newer photos and took down some older ones. I also recommend adding a new office toy. I’ve seen them all: water fountains, candles (which I have in mine), stress balls, or even a newton’s cradle. Anything to add instant relief to a stressful day.
- Stock up with snacks: Nothing is worse than a hungry stomach. And sometimes you just need to satisfy that sweet tooth. I keep a stash of Cheezits, cookies, fruit roll-ups, and other snacks around. You never know when a burst of hunger will hit you.
- Book an exciting seminar: Ahh..one of my favorites! Research seminars in your area and in your field of work. I love going to seminars just for the simple fact of meeting people and networking. It’s always exciting to advance your career.
- Play your favorite tunes: Anytime you walk into my office, you’ll hear some music playing. From Coldplay to Beyonce and even some classical in between, I listen to it all. It always puts me in a cheery mood, ready to get through the day.
- Get away from your desk at lunch, at least once a week. Try a new restaurant, or if you are trying to save money by bringing your lunch, try eating in the park. It’s always nice to leave work stress at work for a while.
- Have plans scheduled for immediately after work: When you have something to look forward that’ll get you out the door at 5:00, it always makes the day go better. Sign up for a gym class or dance lessons. Or schedule something relaxing like a hair appointment or a massage. You’ll be glad you did.
- Start planning your next vacation. There’s nothing like planning my next escape that gets my blood flowing. Pick a few destinations and start researching plane tickets, hotels and events in the area. Then, when you are able to book it, it will fuel your excitement for the next few months.
Try one or all of these tips and the rain outside won’t matter. You’ll have your own sunshine at your desk!