Homework: Your LinkedIn Needs This One Change
Sure, it’s been a while since you’ve been in school. But here at Career Girl Network, every Sunday night, we’re bringing you “Homework” – a simple task that will take less than 10 minutes (most less than 5) and still have a significant impact on your career.
Here’s your homework for tonight!
We’ve written about this topic before, but just in case you need a reminder, take 5 minutes tonight and go change your LinkedIn account so the URL associated with your account is www.linkedin.com/in/yourname. Far too often, we see even social media experts with a LinkedIn URL that looks like this: www.linkedin.com/pub/fdjakfa0e08r43-9584905rq8. Wrong! You must be able to easily find you on LinkedIn and quickly link your LinkedIn in things like an email signature (see last week’s homework for that little tip) and more.
Here’s how you do it:
- Log into your LinkedIn account
- Click on “Profile” in the top left hand corner
- To the right of your LinkedIn photo, click “Edit”
- Under your LinkedIn photo appears your LinkedIn URL. Next to it appears another “Edit” Button. Click “Edit” again. This will take you to your “Public Profile.”
- On the right hand side of the screen, about halfway down the page, you will see a box that says “Your public profile URL.” In that box, click “Customize your public profile URL” and click “Save.”