5 Ways Not To Look Tired
Sure, she probably meant well and was genuinely worried. Indeed, sometimes I was just that – tired. The daily grind can really take a toll! However, I began to notice the days she or others pointed out my apparent exhasution were also the days I may have forgotten to put on eyeliner, or didn’t put as much effort in my makeup as I usually did. In order to make sure no one ever thought I looked tired again (even if I was), I developed a quick and easy makeup routine. Quick is key: the first step to not looking tired is, of course, sleeping enough! How much is enough? According to the National Sleep Foundation, adults should aim for 7-9 hours of Z’s each night.
So far, this morning routine has served me well, and no one has uttered those dreaded three words to me yet! P.S.- I in no way, shape, or form am endorsing the products below or suggesting that you need to use them – they are just the products I particularly enjoy using. Some are pricey (Sephora is my worst addiction), but last long and work well.
- Line your eyes: I am a reformed black-eyeliner-only addict. Instead of layering eyeshadow and liner, I opt for a colored liner to save time. When I say colored, I don’t mean neon or something outrageous. To keep it professional, opt for a brown, dark plum/purple, navy blue, or a dark grey. These colors will give you defnition. I also recommend something waterproof, especially for contact lens wearers like me. This prevents smudging and ensures your look will stay, not stray. My favorites are bareminerals Round the Clock in “Noon” and Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes in Shimmering Plum.
- Add mascara: For me, mascara is my absolute desert-island beauty product. It is quick and easy and allows for maximum impact. L’Oreal’s Voluminous Butterfly Mascara is one of my recent favorites.
- Conceal: Dark circles are my biggest pet peeve. To brighten up your under-eye area, try a concealer with added shimmer, or play mixmaster and combine a highlighter with your favorite concealer. I like bareminerals Stroke of Light.
- Get cheeky: Swipe blush on your cheekbones to give yourself a little color, which will help make you look more awake. Powder blushes are classic, but may not last the whole day. There are a ton of other types of formulas such as stains and creams that are worth testing out. Personally, I like Josie Maran Coconut Water Cheek Gelee in Pink Escape which gives hours of long-lasting color.
- SWAK – Seal with a Kiss: Adding lip color can really help liven up your face. If I neglect my lips, I tend to look ghostly, so I always make sure to add some color. Lipgloss, lipstick, lip stain, tinted lip balm – all good. Remember to throw it in your purse so you can reapply throughout the day. I enjoy Josie Maran Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stain with good old Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Swivel Stick over it. It kind of looks like a glue stick, but works wonders!
This five-step process works well for me and has really cut down on my routine, allowing for maximum sleep time! I am the type of girl who can spend hours and hours playing with makeup, so I had to train myself to find a time-saving routine. Sleep, a little makeup, and a big cup ‘o joe and I’m ready to take on the world.
Hope this helps some of you Career Girls save time too! And remember, even if your coworker looks a little more tired than usual, no need to point it out. Let’s be kind to one another!