If You’re Afraid to Do Something, Then Do It Afraid
This is where I call my curiosity. How come it is that I I’m not taking action? It turns out I’m getting in my own way. My negative self messages and feelings of fear created the perfect roadblock to action. Clearly I wasn’t going to just sit down and write a blog post. Something was standing in my way. What I know to be true for me is that if things are easy, require little to no vulnerability or risk, I tend to do them immediately. My hesitation told me I needed a little more support, courage and perhaps a push. This is when I create and call on what I call a panel of experts: people in my life who can provide me with extra knowledge, ideas and support. It turns out this panel of experts is vast.
Here’s how I created mine.
- I joined Liv Lane’s Blog E-Course “Building the Blog you Truly Love.”
- I began not just reading my favorite blogs but studying the types of posts that spoke most to me, I noticed why I felt what the writing was saying was relatable.
- I started making a list of topics I wanted to write about and the content that I know fits my blogger voice and ignites my professional and personal passions.
- I activated my already supportive friends and family by asking for their positive encouragement.
- And then I sent the first email to Career Girl Network.
I’m taking this risk afraid, uncertain and unsure. And with the help of my panel, I’m still doing it. They helped me see that I’m standing in my own way. They gave me the momentum I needed to start moving. And even after I’ve learned and studied and felt encouraged, I am still scared. I’m taking the chance to do it afraid.
What’s been on your goal list for a while that you haven’t achieved? Get curious! What’s standing in your way? Who can you employ on your panel of experts to help give you the extra boost you need to move it into action? How can we support your next risky, audacious goal?