After months of training and anticipation, and really – nearly 10 months of leading up to this. The date is almost here! THE TC 10 MILE IS SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!
Sunday, I ran my last long training run of 8 miles – and I’d be lying if I said I weren’t a little emotional. Actually – a lot emotional. After the run, I lay on my bed thinking about everything that has happened regarding my running self in the last 10 months.
A few highlights stuck out in my head:
- That first day. When my trainer, Matt, said, “We’re going to run today.” And I replied, “Umm, no. I don’t run.” He pushed me and eventually got me to conceded to running just 30 seconds. And after realizing I not only could do it, but that I wasn’t even winded doing it…I kept going.
- Laboring through on the treadmill to get to 10 minutes. I remember the first week I ever had to run 8 minutes straight I was so terrified, I avoided it for three days!
- The first time I ran 20 minutes for the first time was a huge breakthrough for me. I was so proud of myself.
- Running my first 5K – what an amazing experience. Running for Komen for the Cure was so rewarding, and having an amazing running partner in both Twitter Guy and his sister was awesome. I can’t believe how far I’ve come since then.
- Quitting my first 10K – yes, this was a big one. Remembering now what “unprepared” looks and feels like, I know I’ll never be there again. I am as prepared as I can be for this weekend and feel phenomenal going into it.
So wish me luck, blogosphere, because I might just need it. My parents are coming to cheer us on and I’m so looking forward to the race (and not just the finish line, either). I know I can do it. It’s been a long time coming, but here I am.