CGN’s Insider Report: Does She, or Doesn’t She?
Many of you know my ongoing struggle with the beauty industry; it’s a true love-hate thing for me. As a youngster, I escaped into the glossy pages of a teen beauty magazine to avoid a tumultuous childhood. My love affair with the ‘perfect flick of lip gloss’ continued past my teens and I spent much of my career in and around the industry.
It wasn’t until my mid-thirties I realized the gritty truth about the business. Unless you owned a steely self-confidence (which eluded me) you fell prey to the unrealistic beauty standards created by the fashion and beauty biz, which were (conveniently) perpetuated by the media. Or, did the media create a beauty ideal, which the fashion and beauty business perpetuated?
Either way, the bottom line is this:
As women, the aging process and every god forsaken detail of it prompts even the most confident woman to look in the mirror and sometimes ask, WTF? When did these lines show up on my forehead?
When this happens, some of us shrug our shoulders and move on; others slather on some extra sunscreen for good measure, and others take things a bit further and set out for the land of Juvederm. Is it the right choice? Who’s to say.
But, if it’s your choice, let’s make sure you’re prepared. We reached out to Meredith Foster, Founder of Truth in Beauty Consulting,and an expert in this field for her advice on how to make your decision.
Meredith offers four tips:
- Know Who Is Giving You Your Treatment -Injectable dermal fillers and neurotoxins (aka Botox®, Dysport®, etc.) seem to be available everywhere. First, start by knowing the rules of each individual state for administration. For example, in Illinois, only doctors and nurses are allowed to administer these injectables. If anyone else has a needle pointed at your face – back away, quickly. During your consultation, ask about experience, certifications, trainings, and look at before and after photos. Don’t worry about appearing too pushy or annoying; any provider worth her salt will be happy to show off her credentials! Not sure about where to go? Each injectable product has a website that will reference credible providers in your area.
- Ask Your Friends for A Referral – The truth is, there are more of us having these treatments done than you realize. Ask your circle of gal pals if anyone has had these treatments and what their experience was. You will probably get ideas of where (and where not) to go.
- Stop Looking Online For Information – There is too much out there that will lead you to believe the wrong things about injectables. Aside from the information you will find on the injectable company’s website, try not to get sucked into the endless results that will pop up with you Google “lip injections.” Yes, there are plenty of things that can go wrong with injectables if someone who is unqualified is providing you with a treatment. But you have already done your homework on that part.
- Avoid the Daily Deals – Don’t get me wrong, I am all about an exercise class or a fancy dinner at discount. But when it comes to significant treatments that can impact my appearance for a prolonged period of time, I would rather go with someone who is well credentialed and who makes me feel comfortable than the cheapest price.
Here’s what to expect from a qualified provider:
- A qualified provider will take your health history and determine whether or not you are a candidate for the injectable in question.
- A qualified provider will clearly discuss with you your desired outcome and define realistic expectations. Don’t want to look like Goldie Hawn in the First Wives Club? Still want to be able to blink? No problem. A qualified provider will have you looking like the “best-version” of yourself: refreshed, youthful, and natural.
- A qualified provider will clearly explain to you what to expect. She will provide you with honest information regarding the potential risks of the injectable better than any random blog post can. She will prepare you in a way that will diminish your chances of side effects, such as bruising and swelling. This is very important: Do what she tells you! If you follow the rules, your outcome will be fantastic.