5 Signs You Should See A Therapist
We all go through times of loss, stress, and anger. Sometimes an objective third party helps you sort things out.
Here are 5 signs you should see a therapist:
- You’re feeling depressed, angry, or numb most of the time. Emotions should go in waves, starting slow, rising to a high point, and then dissipating. When you’re feeling stuck in one mood or emotion all day, every day, that’s a sign that there is something lurking beneath the surface that needs to be worked through.
- Every (or almost every) relationship you’ve been in was incredibly dramatic, with really high highs, and really low lows. If one of your past relationships was like this, you can check it off to a unique situation. If you find yourself in numerous relationships that have you smiling ear to ear one minute and bawling the next, seeing a therapist may help you learn to create and nurture stability and balance in relationships.
- You have experienced a traumatic event, and find yourself struggling with the memories afterward. Everyone experiences a trauma at one time or another. When the memories flood your mind at random points, or you find yourself experiencing flashbacks, it’s time to see a therapist.
- You have chronic headaches, migraines, stomach pain, aches, etc. Some of us carry the weight of our stress and emotions physically. When that happens, the emotional pain has to reside somewhere. If you’re popping painkillers constantly and your doctor can’t find the medical root of your pain, consider seeing a therapist.
- You’ve ever seriously considered seeing a therapist. If you find yourself debating seeing a therapist, then there is something within you that wants to. If this applies to you, then take a chance and make an appointment. If after a few sessions it doesn’t seem like a good idea, you can always change your mind!