Your Personal Brand: Define and Own It!
This year, I made the commitment to create my personal brand. To my pleasant surprise, I already had one! I learned that the key to “creating” a personal brand is to define and polish how you already influence your network and then own it.
So how did I get started? On Inc.com, Jeff Haden interviews Julia Allison, Elle columnist, speaker on all things branding related, and star of the Bravo series Miss Advised. Here are her tips and insights that had the most impact on me:
- You already have a personal brand. You choose to own it. Every day, you share your unique personality, gifts and skills with others. Julia recommends making a list of adjectives that you already possess and want to highlight when interacting with your network.
- It’s really important. Being aware of and owning your personal brand helps you make important decisions and feel confident. People will have an easier time building trust with you, which leads to better relationships, awesome job offers, new customers or more sales.
- Your personal brand should be genuine. Make sure it conveys who you are, what you do, your goals and why people should care.
- It’s ok if it changes over time. Julia and Jeff discuss how celebrities like Bruce Jenner and Donald Trump changed their personal brands over time. She explains that your personal brand should be consistent with your goals as they evolve over time.
- Be prepared for criticism. In a time when it seems like any flaw is unforgivable, it can be scary to put yourself out there. Julia explains that negative feedback usually falls into two categories. The first category falls into genuine complaints that you need to fix and address immediately. The second is angry people who will never feel better no matter what you do or say. So don’t worry about them!
Guest Writer: Nicole Wetzell
A city girl with small town flare, Nicole Wetzell is an enthusiastic sales and integrated marketing professional for the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University. Always striving for excellence (but not perfection!), she delights in connecting with people and creating memorable and unique experiences for customers. Learn more about Nicole at nicolewetzell.com.