“Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?”
That is one of my favorite questions to ask. I keep thinking, “How can I start this year right?” but the real question I should be asking is “How can I start this year outrageously happy?”
We fall into the pattern of trying to do it “right” all the time! We want to impress people, do a good job, or simply avoid being wrong. Because being wrong seems to suggest that we’re a failure – which isn’t particularly enjoyable for anyone. Your right might be someone else’s wrong, so let’s drop those labels. It’s less about right and wrong and more about doing what you love and enjoying it.
It’s simple: Do less of the things that bring you down or stress you out, and more of the things that build you up and put a smile on your face. Okay, it’s simple in theory. But I’ll make it simple in application and action as well.
There are thousands of ways to make this year the best yet, and we will explore a few to find what fits best for you. I’ve out-lined some of my favorite and most effective actions, that will kick-start feeling good for 2013, and also leave you with more enjoyment and ease then ever before.
- Clean and Clear – your head, heart, and soul. There’s something about a blank slate that’s like a breath of fresh air. Take action to clear out some of the clutter in your life both physically and emotionally. Sort through and donate the clothes you never wear. Go through and unsubscribe from all the useless emails you receive and never open. Un-friend those people on Facebook you don’t actually know. If you’ve been feeling completely fed up with someone, try a cord cutting exercise to energetically disconnect from them.
- Reflect and Celebrate – your successes often. What have you done? How have you grown? What have you discovered? What’s different? Pick out your favorite moments, and savor them for a couple minutes. Take the time to honor yourself, your journey (no matter how many bumps there were along the way), and all of your achievements. If you don’t take the time to do this, you’ll feel like you are constantly chasing after your dreams rather than living them. What’s the point in going after all these goals if you don’t enjoy the feeling when you actually achieve them? Write your reflections down, and share them with the people you love.
- Align and Focus – your actions with who you are. With each amazing gal I work with we focus on anchors that connect her back to who she is and what’s most important to her. Think about your own anchors (values, thoughts, beliefs) that enable you to work and live as the best you. Inevitably a lot of challenges and stress come from when we move away from those anchors, and begin to feel like we aren’t being ourselves anymore. Create a daily practice that keeps your focused on being yourself and doing what you love.
- Break and Make – the rules you live by. Sometimes these guidelines are meant to be broken. Playing it safe causes us to get stuck in ruts, and stunt our own creativity and potential. Have a little fun this month, go against the status quo and do something your own way. No one ever achieved something great by doing it the normal way… that sounds more like insanity (doing the same thing repeatedly but expecting different results). Make new rules for yourself that create unlimited opportunities for success, fun, and love.
- Express and Love – all of who you are. Most importantly this month, stop trying to be something else, and just be you. Embrace an aspect of yourself you might usually try to hide. It can be fun to look for this in others too, and give them permission to release their hidden strengths. Secret weight lifting lover? Work it out. Have an unexplored passion for science? Go explore! Sensitive side? Go cry your eyes out at a movie. Imagine living in a world where people celebrated their individuality rather than squander it to be the same. You can start this initiative, and spread it among your inner circle. Make time this month to do one activity you don’t normally do that makes you feel amazing.