Shopping & Style Tips for the Budget-Savvy Fashionista
You don’t have to have an unlimited budget to look stylish. Even if you can afford those $300 shoes, why not buy the same look for $100 and save the money for a trip, a girls night out, or a future investment? With so many great budget friendly stores like H&M, Zara, and Asos.com, it’s easy to find great looks for less. To inspire the budget savvy fashionista, I’ve put together 3 stylish work looks for under $150. Now, I do believe that every Career Girl should have some quality investment pieces that are worth splurging for in her wardrobe, but finding great finds for less allows you to stretch your dollars and grow your savings.
- Don’t shop when you’re stressed – Just like you shouldn’t go to the grocery store hungry, when you’re stressed you don’t go shopping. You’ll end up making bad buy decisions.
- Remember the 4% rule – That’s your yearly wardrobe budget: 4% (or less) of what you take home. Know it and stick to it.
- Figure out the cost-per-wear — Think about the number of times you can wear something. If you can’t get the per-wear cost down to $2, you might want to reconsider the purchase.
- Work with your credit-card style – If you’re responsible with your cards and have one that gives you rewards or cash back, always use it! But if you’re in debt, try to shop with just cash.
- Buy off-season –If you can wait, it’s the best time to shop! Get sundresses and bikinis in November or holiday dresses in January — just stick to classic, timeless styles.
- Don’t go too long without shopping – It’s like dieting — if you deprive yourself for a long period of time, you’ll end up bingeing the next time you’re in the store. It’s good to know what’s out there, even if that means just window shopping.
Pick up the November issue of People StyleWatch to read more shopping & style tips.