Single Career Girl: Single for the Holidays
I keep hearing everywhere that the holiday season is a bad time to be single. I also heard that spring and summer are a bad time to be single — you want to be out enjoying the weather with that special someone and love is blooming…blah, blah, blah. But wait! Fall is also a bad time to be single because it’s getting cold and it’s time to “curl up with your man.” So when is it actually a good time to be single? Apparently never.
But I disagree. While I’m a little disappointed that I won’t be spending the holidays with someone special, I’m also relieved. I can’t wait to spend the holidays relaxing with my family and enjoying winter activities with friends. Here’s a few reasons why being single during the holidays rocks:
- You spend more time with your family. You don’t have to split this time with anyone else, and you don’t have to nod and smile as your boyfriend’s extended family gets into arguments. You get to sit and be with your family. And even if your family drives you insane, at least it’s your family and not someone else’s.
- You don’t stress about what gift to get him — or anyone else in his family. I am terrible with spending way too much money on gifts. Of course, after I break up with a guy, I wish I’d spent a lot less on him! Being unattached means you can take that money and put it towards gifts for your friends or family — or maybe a gift for yourself.
- You plan your activities. Want to spend a whole day inside baking Christmas cookies with Lifetime movies on in the background? Go right ahead! You can set your own holiday schedule.
- You get more quality time with your friends. You can plan a single girls’ holiday trip and get to know your friends even better. You can still do all those fun activities couples do — like ice skating, skiing, and watching silly holiday movies.
- You can meet more people. Sometimes when you’re attached, you don’t have the freedom to go to all of the parties you’ve been invited to. And you don’t have the freedom to really mingle like you do when you go solo. Who knows, you might meet another great, single guy! Just as it’s nice to be with someone for the holidays, it’s also nice to have the possibility of meeting someone new during the holidays.
Honestly, I don’t see a huge difference between being single and being in a relationship during this season. It’s a fun time of year no matter what! So don’t let anyone make you feel bad for being unattached — regardless of what time of year it is. And if you’re looking for more single friends to spend time with, lots of groups on meetup.com are doing special holiday activities. And of course, you can always hang out with me!
Do you have any single girl activities you like to do during the holidays? Share them with us!