Do Something New in 2014
I love resolutions! Even if most people only stick to them for a little while, the idea of making yourself better and thinking about your future is something admirable. Since there are already some good posts about how to set and keep your resolutions, I’d like to suggest a resolution that will make you a better Career Girl—and it’s one you may not have thought of.
I had a few big goals for 2013, but one of the relatively small things I put on my 2013 bucket list was to do one new thing each month. If you think about it, it’s not hard to do. You can pick up a new food or go to a new kind of restaurant, get tickets to a new event, or try a new sport. In order to remember all of mine, I kept a list. Looking back, it’s like experiencing my whole year over again, remembering the fun things that I did. Plus, it makes me more courageous and worldly. I am always finding ways to do something a little different, and to really enjoy what I learn.
So here is my list of new things I did in 2013:
- Took a hot yoga class
- Ate a crayfish (I had to Google how to eat it)
- Ran 15 miles
- Asked for a raise, and got it!
- Got blood drawn
- Ran with a group
- Saw a bunch of bands I’d never seen before
- Went to Frederik Meijer Gardens
- Ate canary melon
- Ate a weird kind of cheese. I’ll have to ask Julia what it was.
- Made tiramisu
- Lost 25lbs
- Bought a house!
- Saw baby turkeys in the wild (adorable)
- Ran a 25k
- Did an adventure run – snowy 5k
- Visited Huron National Forest. First time I can remember going to that side of the state!
- Ran a marathon. New longest distance evvaarrrr!
- Ate an oyster
- Saw the monuments in DC (been there before, but never saw the sites)
- Ate Ethiopian food for the first time—yum!
- Cooked ribs
- Ran a marathon relay (never done a relay before, and we got third place!)
- Blacked out, AKA “My Street Nap of 2013” (long story, but something happened and I fell off my bike and then had to get checked for a concussion, and once I found out I was fine, then my friends started calling it my “street nap”)
- Went to a baseball game (Go Whitecaps!)
- Went to a rodeo
- Ate a persimmon (it was gross because it was not ripe)
- Participated in the Ugly Sweater Run, and new 5k PR: 26 minutes!!
- Went down a giant Slip ‘N Slide
- Drank bacon beer
I’m sure there are other things, like caulking a bath tub, but you get the idea. It’s really fun to set a goal to do something new every month. You will find that there are opportunities popping up all the time, and it’s contagious. Feel free to think of things you want to do ahead of time, invite friends, keep a list or blog about it. You will be glad you did, and it’s one of those resolutions that you can actually keep!