Do You Dare Wear a Red Lip?
Do you dare wear a red lip to work?
We love a fabulous red lip on any woman. It immediately brightens her face and tells the world she plans to show up wherever she goes! And, it’s the natural shade choice for any woman who wants a clean, sophisticated look for an important event.
But — can you wear it to work? We think YES!
A few weeks ago the Expert on Time team took all the guessing out of the equation. They put 45 red lip colors to the test over a course of 5 days. (This translates to nine lipstick changes each day!) Through a rigorous elimination process, they discovered their #1 Red Lip Pick!
But first, the research methodology:
- The Brands: You name it, they tried it! Everything from Givenchy to Revlon to Yves St. Laurentto Maybelline made the starting line-up.
- The Judging Criteria: Four factors comprised the decision-making criteria
- Shade: There is red and then there is RED. They sought the perfect true red with just a touch of blue as to make your teeth appear whiter.
- Wear: How did the product hold up during sips of water, eating, and talking? Still in place, or was it on our utensils and water glasses? Slide off the corners of our mouth? Bleed outside the lip line?
- Opacity: They wanted an opaque red – this is no time to take the subtle way out. They set aside any sheers and glosses.
- Lip Condition: EoT wanted a great red without the peeling; and dry lips that often accompany wearing a red. They wanted a strong and feminine reflection, not a Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? look.
- The Application Process: Each shade needed the same palette to preserve the integrity of the experiment. A multi-tiered application accomplished the task.
- Each shade was removed with coconut oil, or Make Up For Ever Sens’Eyes Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover if the pigment was really stubborn.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser cleaned up the lip line
- A very thin film of Hourglass No 28 Lip Treatment Oil was applied then blotted.
- A layer of color was applied using Sephora’s Retractable Lip Brush, then the color was blotted. Another layer was reapplied and blotted again.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser cleaned-up the lip line to complete.
Without further ado, the EoT red lip winner (and a few others)
Cost be damned
- Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar in NSFW: Gorgeous and polished This stunning powerhouse wins on all counts! It’s the perfect true red, wears like iron without drying your lips, and it’s vegan to boot! A word to the wise — apply this product in thin layers with a lip brush. Keep a q-tip handy for quick cleans ups because once this product sets it’s not budging until you remove it. WE. LOVE. IT.
- Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Raven: A strong contender, but not quite as impactful as OBC, plus it contains just a tad bit of orange, but it wears well and kept our lips feeling good.
- Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge: We loved this satiny red lip, but it feels and wears more like a traditional lipstick. Meaning, you feel it on your lips and it transfers onto your wine glass or water bottle. We love it because we felt so grown-up wearing it.
- Yves St. Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain in #20 Rouge Enamel: The tamest of the four, but we give it gold stars for a long wear, which created a toned-down red as it wore off.
On a budget
- Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Standout: This product caught us by surprise! A beautiful red with a good wear. Frankly, we were impressed with it!
- Maybelline Color Sensation Elixir in Signature Scarlet: What a yummy feel on the lips! It’s the slickest of the bunch, but it feels great on, creates a beautiful red, and acts as a nice midday touch-up if you want to add a titch of moisture and color.
Now, go forth and turn a few heads in your meeting! Want more beauty, fashion, and feminism — visit Expert on Time to see what’s new.