The Toxic Things You Digest Without Realizing
You’ve probably heard this before. It makes a lot of sense. What we put into our bodies is our fuel. When you make healthy food choices, you can see and feel the benefit of your body working optimally. And conversely, when you intake toxic substances (deep fried twinkie anyone?!), your body becomes sluggish and dull.
This process of digestion goes beyond just food. We process thoughts, feelings and experiences. Our surroundings have a huge influence on the amount of energy we have. Every day you ingest whatever is around you physically, mentally, and spiritually. The environment we live in shapes who we are and how we live our lives.
What are you digesting daily? Is it fueling you? Are you surrounded by things you choose, or is it simply a default?
Our bodies and minds are like sponges, and they take in and absorb whatever we expose them to. If you surround yourself with negative people, dramatic situations, and messy spaces, you will become those things yourself. If you choose place yourself with happy people in uplifting experiences, you will become those things.
You decide what people, situations, and surrounding become your environment. Take a moment to look at the following three areas. Commit to doing a digestion cleanse in these aspects of your life. When you get rid of the crap that is dragging you down, and replace it with proper fuel, your body and mind will thrive.
- Look around at your physical spaces: your home, your office, maybe your car.
- How do you feel in these surroundings? Do they energize you? Do they drain you?
- What changes would you like to make to transform these surroundings to fuel you more?
- What can you add or eliminate to make your environment somewhere you WANT to spend your time?
If you prefer order and organization, commit to ensuring your space reflects those needs. If you love creativity and expression, commit to filling your space with inspiring art and music. If you want morepeace, commit to creating a zen space for relaxation and reflection.
- Think about the people you spend the most time with.
- Who makes you feel your best and makes your life better? (clue: If you only had 3 days left to live, who would you choose to be with?
- How can you spend more time with these people?
- Who brings you down and makes your life harder?
- How can you spend less time with these people?
Choose to surround yourself with people that infect you with love and appreciation. Spend your time around those that inspire you to be the amazing human you are. Free yourself from being around toxic people that add drama and disaster to your life.
- What do you fill your day up with?
- What do you encounter on a daily basis that brings you true joy, fulfillment, and love?
- What are you willing to change in order to experience more of those things?
- What do you participate in that is against your values and who you are?
- How can you eliminate your involvement in those activities or experiences?
Allow yourself to start doing the activities you are attracted to. We have a limited lifetime, so why waste your years on something you don’t really want to do? Choose to ingest experiences that allow you to discover, transform, and shine.
Digestion Mantra: “I make great choices because they are made with full awareness. I consciously choose surroundings, relationships, and experiences that positively fuel me and my life.”