Travel Go Girl. Get It! Your Adventurer Side Will Thank You!
What does it mean to be a woman of the world? Three years ago, this question bit ravenously at my ankles. I was living in the small island country of São Tomé and Príncipe, and as I rode my blue motorcycle through the winding coastline, I thought about how there are just not enough resources out there for women who want to travel, connect and engage globally.
Sure, there are sites where you can get plenty of information about where to go and what to do for a good beach vacation. But there aren’t many places that talk about gritty details — how it feels to be on a crowded bus in Barranquilla, Colombia, trying to navigate your way for the first time through the city. What to do when you’re walking through Rome by yourself at 2AM when someone yells at you from the darkness. Yet these are things we really need to talk about, especially in the context of being women.
Around the time of my motorcycle riding days I launched Go Girl, then a small travel blog where I documented my own experiences as a female traveler. Over time, I received so many messages from women saying “I’ve been there!” that I realized that we really were filling a need. Since then, we’ve grown more than I had ever imagined.
Today, Go Girl is a community of 6,000 monthly readers in over 110 countries around the world, with 30 writers contributing their stories on a regular basis. We publish daily content and host Chicago-area networking events and weekly travel chats on Twitter to encourage women, especially young women, to get involved in their global community. In a world where 6% of female travelers are under the age of 35, there’s a ways to go – but we’re fighting to make a difference.
Want to know what it’s like to watch an art history major (i.e., me) code a website? Check out Go Girl’s home, travelgogirl.com. Last week, Go Girl launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise $5,000 for a new site – a site that can really serve our community the way it deserves to be. A site that will allow us to really grow and fulfill our mission of supporting globally minded women.
Where to go from here?
- Check out the campaign to see how you can be a part of the movement, and share it with your friends and family.
- Take a trip this year to somewhere you’ve never been before, and make sure to plan in some empty time to leave room for spontaneity and adventure.
- Join us for networking events to meet other globally minded women in Chicago.
- Encourage the women around you to pursue their dreams, and to make a difference in their world in whatever capacity they feel is best. You never know what can be accomplished when we support one another!
- Challenge yourself to live globally. Consider the impact you’re making in the world. Buy fair trade goods, read the news, keep your mind open. Be a citizen of the world.
Guest Writer: Beth Santos
Beth Santos is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of TravelGoGirl.com. Go Girl is a community of 6,000 women in 110 countries around the world — and growing. We tell stories and share tips about places we’ve been, we network with one another both in person and online, and we challenge the women of the world to be bold, brave and adventurous. We are pioneers, even in the smallest of ways. We live to challenge our mindsets, expand our horizons and embrace our world. And Go Girl is the community that connects us together when the earth is perhaps too big to cover completely on foot.