Ways to Boost Your Metabolism
As we get older, our metabolism slows down and it’s easy to use it as an excuse for gaining weight as our bodies process foods slower and burns calories differently. However, even though our metabolisms are based on age, gender and genetics, there are ways to boost our metabolisms so our bodies’ work harder and burn more calories at all hours of the day.
Our metabolism includes a complex network of hormones and enzymes that convert the food we eat into fuel and by making a few changes to our routines by exercising properly and eating well – we can all positively affect how efficiently we burn fuel.
Here are a few tips to boost your metabolism:
- Stay hydrated! If you aren’t properly hydrated, your body won’t function well and it won’t burn fat either. Check out this hydration calculator to see how much water you need. By staying properly hydrated, you burn more calories.
- If you are working out, add 8 ounces of water for every half hour you sweat.
- Joining co-workers for happy hour? Drink a glass of water for every cocktail you enjoy.
- Incorporate a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout into your day. HIIT workouts alternate between intense bursts of activity with less intense activities. It causes your body to continue to consume oxygen after you stop working out – which increases your metabolism all day and leaves you feeling energized and strong. HIIT is a great metabolism booster because it also stimulates production of your human growth hormone for 24 hours post workout. This increases caloric burn and slows the aging process, resulting in you feel younger inside and out.
- Eat metabolism friendly foods such as those full of nutrients. Aim to eat lean protein, unprocessed foods and plenty of greens, veggies and fruits.