If you’ve ever watched a strong man or strong woman competition, you’ve no doubt seen the kind of rocks pictured just above this article. They are huge round boulders, and the challenge for competitors is to move these rocks from one place to another using all the strength and might they have. And while it may not be as entertaining as watching phone books ripped in half, the brute strength it requires is inspiring. What you might not know, though, is that you move rocks like these every day.
One of my favorite coaches and general life gurus is Jeanna Gabellini. Her book “Speed Dial the Universe” single-handedly got me through the first few months of entrepreneurship. In a job where you could make to-do lists every day with hundreds of items on them, Jeanna helped me to find my focus and set realistic goals for my days.
In her “Speed Dial” book, Jeanna talks about “rocks.” She’s not talking about diamonds or Metallica songs. She’s talking about proverbial rocks, much like the real rocks pictured above. She asks, in your daily planning, which “big rocks” will you move today? She also limits the number of rocks to six per day, something that is both difficult to do for multitasking overachievers like me and incredibly empowering in that you find challenges in realism in setting your rocks each day.
So I’m asking you, Career Girls, what are the six rocks you’re going to move by the end of 2012? If Jeanna wants us to set six rocks per day, setting six rocks from now until January 1st will be equally as challenging and equally as empowering. To help you get your own rocks set for 2012′s end, I’ll share with you mine!
- Finish the first draft of each of the 10 Chapters of my book. January is reserved for completing and writing a slew of case studies to accompany every chapter, but I’ve committed to my editor to have the chapters themselves done by January 1. YES!
- Email, email, email, call, call, call to 2013 potential partners. I have a list of potential partners both for my own business and for the boards I sit on to reach out to. In the slowest week of the year, I’ll be sending emails and calling many, many people on that list.
- Web updates, updates, updates! I know you’ll all want to check Career Girl Network on Christmas Day (okay, maybe not)….but we know we’ll see a dip in our traffic because you will all be with families. I’m going to take that time to add some exciting new events and programs to the CGN website!
- Presentation perfect. With three speaking engagements in January alone, I will update presentations for all three and perfect my agendas as well. I’ll be set to go with all three rocking presentations by January 1st!
- Focusing on big changes in 2013. CGN is making some big changes in 2013 to our physical space and staff (don’t worry, the lovely Marcy Farrey and I aren’t going anywhere. But our purses may be sitting on new desks in a month or two). There are some big pieces of research, planning, and execution to be taken care of in the last weeks of 2012, and I’m going to tackle them head on.
- Relax. Anyone who knows me will tell you this is definitely a “big rock” for me. Relaxing is not my forte. And there could be no more perfect time than spending a few days at a spa with my in-laws over Christmas. I’ll be gladly moving that rock!
What are your six rocks? Get ‘em done, Career Girls!