Your 5 Minute Career “Homework”
Sure, it’s been a while since you’ve been in school. But here at Career Girl Network, every Sunday night, we’re bringing you “Homework” – a simple task that will take less than 10 minutes (most less than 5) and still have a significant impact on your career.
Since it’s Thanksgiving weekend, your homework is to get back in the groove successfully tomorrow morning! Try these tips:
To help you get back into the swing of things, we’re going to remind you of our tips for getting back to work mode after a holiday:
- Be realistic. The day after vacation isn’t likely the best time to tackle your huge strategic planning project you need to do before the end of the year. So be honest with yourself about what you can and cannot do. Be realistic when setting your goals for the day.
- Urgent trumps important. There are important projects, and there are urgent projects. And not all urgent projects are important. Tackle the urgent first. They’re usually easy, quickfire types of projects you can do without much energy. Get them done, check them off the list, and move on to the weekend.
- Split the day into parts. Go ahead, take yourself to lunch and relax for an hour. A marathon of a day isn’t the best way to jump in after a vacation. So split your day into two parts, and set some goals for projects to finish in the morning and those you’ll finish in the afternoon.
- Let yourself off the hook. No one is most productive the day after a holiday. Let yourself off the hook and it’s okay if you’re not at your best today, either.
- Rehydrate. Drink some water, friends, because chances are you ate a lot of rich and salty food — and don’t forget all those glasses of wine.
Good luck, Career Girls! And cheer up — there are more holidays to look forward to next month.