As human beings we can do incredible things alone. But our power seems to multiply when we connect with others. When we partner or surround ourselves with people that support, care for, and love us, we are able to do more than we ever imagined possible. Let’s call this group of people your Dream Team.
Your Dream Team inspires and motivates. It challenges and supports you. These are people you can count on, and who always have your best interest in mind. These are the friends, family, and professionals that put their agenda aside to focus on you. These people allow you to best your best in every moment, and encourage you to take risks as you evolve.
Imagine your Dream Team with 5 major players, or starters. Each one holds a very important role in your development and happiness. When you are aware of your teammates, you can begin to develop a deeper rapport of trust and understanding. When your team is strong, you are more capable of living the life of your dreams.
The Five Players:
- The Blood – this person is always there for you no matter what. Usually a blood relative or spouse, they are your “go-to” teammate. You typically spend a lot of time with this person, and know they would do anything for you, from loaning you money, to spending a week in the hospital with you after a fluke illness. These players don’t bail when the going gets tough; they’re sticking by your side for the long haul. Count on The Blood for commitment and dependability. It’s hard to imagine life without them.
- The Answer – this teammate always seems to have the answer, or knows how to help you find it. This can be a mentor, coach, family member, or friend. You admire this person, and trust their guidance. When you’re at a loss for what to do, they will help you gain clarity and peace of mind in times of confusion. You’ve got them on speed dial for those moments when your feel like a hot mess. Trust that The Answers will never run out of support for you, and is always happy to offer their expertise.
- The Cheerleader – for better or for worse this person always supports you. They are behind your ideas, projects, and personal mission. You could call them your #1 fan. Grandparents seem to be a natural for this role, but other relatives, friends, and co-workers also fit the bill nicely. If you need a boost of confidence this guy or gal will tell you exactly what you need to hear. You probably love hanging around The Cheerleader, because they make you feel so amazing!
- The Truth – this person will tell you what’s really going on, even if it’s not easy to hear. Sometimes brutal, this teammate helps you recognize the real truth from the thoughts, feelings, and beliefs you sometimes interpret as the truth. They cut the crap, say it like it is, and sometimes give you a “slap in the face” style reality check. With loving intentions, their sometimes brutally honest comments shift your perspective in a positive way. Count on The Truth for some tough love and keeping it real.
- The Danger – this teammate is your partner in crime. You probably do things you don’t normally do when you’re with them, and always seem to have a grand time. They get you out of your comfort zone and make you feel alive. This person’s mantra is typically something akin to “You only live once”, which is how you got dragged to Vegas for a weekend away or started a business together. Expect to laugh, drink, and maybe get into a bit of trouble with The Danger. If your life is feeling a bit dull or mundane, give them a call to liven things up!
Who is on your Dream Team?
Can you identify one person for each role?
If one of the positions in open, make a conscious decision to fill it with someone who will elevate the team as a whole, bringing more ease and fun into your life. If one of the teammates isn’t cutting it anymore, trade them out for someone new, and let them hang on the sidelines for awhile. Some of your players may be with you for your entire life, and others may swap in and out. Each person has something to give and something they gain from being on your team.
By simply bringing more awareness to the people that play these roles, you are enhancing their power and potential. Honor these five people, as the big players in your life. Remember to give them gratitude for their influence. “Thank you” is never over played.